Order a pilot / Pilot Online
Order a pilot easily using the Pilot Online application
Advance information and orders are sent to Finnpilot’s Pilot Dispatch Centre primarily via the Pilot Online application.
If the application is not in use, you can also convey the advance information and order by email or phone. Go to the contact information of the Pilot Dispatch Centre »
The Pilot Dispatch Centre sends a confirmation of the request using the same communication method through which the advance notice was provided or the binding pilotage request was made. Requests made by phone are not confirmed separately.
Why is advance information important?
The functioning and flexibility of the pilotage services are based on adequate information about upcoming pilotage needs concerning specific areas and stations. On the basis of the advance information, Finnpilot assigns its personnel to different pilotage assignments ordered through the Pilot Dispatch Centre. If advance information is not provided in time, Finnpilot will not necessarily be able to provide that client with the requested pilotage service within the desired timeframe. In these situations, Finnpilot is not liable for any costs accrued by the customer as a result of the delay.
Ordering pilotage services
1. Providing advance information of a vessel’s arrival to a Finnish port
Vessel agents forward to the Pilot Dispatch Centre the weekly lists of vessels scheduled to arrive in Finnish ports and any changes to the advance information.
- The ship or it’s agent shall provide the Pilot Order Centre with advance notice 24 and 12 hours prior to the vessel’s arrival at the pilot boarding position.
- Changes to the advance information: If there is a change of more than one hour in the arrival time given in the advance notice, the Pilot Dispatch Centre must be informed of the change without delay.
- It is recommended that the vessel’s estimated time of departure from the port at the same time is also provided.
2. Ordering a pilot once the arrival time has been confirmed
- The vessel or vessel representative/agent shall submit a binding pilotage request to the Pilot Dispatch Centre three (3) hours before the vessel arrives at the pilot boarding area.
- When necessary, the pilot may contact the vessel by VHF radio when the vessel is less than one hour away.
3. Advance information when departing
- A vessel representative/agent or the vessel crew shall provide the Pilot Dispatch Centre with advance information 12 and 6 hours prior to the vessel’s departure from the port.
- Changes to the advance information: If there is a change of more than one hour in the departure time given in the advance notice, the Pilot Dispatch Centre must be informed of the change without delay.
4. Ordering a pilot once the departure time has been confirmed
- A vessel representative/agent or the vessel crew shall submit a binding pilotage order to the Pilot Dispatch Centre two (2) hours prior to the vessel’s departure from the port.
- As exceptions to this, vessels departing from the Port of Kilpilahti (Sköldvik) shall submit the pilotage request three (3) hours and vessels departing from the ports of Hanko, Koverhar, Skogby and Lappohja one (1) hour before departure.
Changes to confirmed orders
If a binding pilotage order needs to be changed or cancelled after the request has been officially submitted, Finnpilot is entitled to charge for any costs accrued for the arrangement of the pilotage service in accordance with the original order. Our terms and conditions for cancellations and changes can be found in Finnpilot’s service terms and conditions »